The report showed men made up more than 90% of the instances for which gender information was available.
The World Health Organization (WHO) stated that there have been two new monkeypox deaths since its last illness update on June 27. This brings the overall number of deaths from the disease since the year's beginning to three. According to the WHO, the number of cases has increased by 77% from the last report to 6,027, with the majority of them being recorded in the European region. However, all three deaths had been reported in Africa. The update showed that over 99% of the cases for which gender information was available were among men. "The outbreak continues to primarily affect men who have sex with men who have reported recent sex with one or multiple male partners, suggesting no signal of sustained transmission beyond these networks for now," it said.
The Geneva-based U.N. organization will call a meeting of the committee that will provide recommendations on whether to elevate the epidemic to the WHO's highest level of alert, a global health emergency, in the coming week of July 18 or earlier, its director-general announced on Wednesday. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is also scheduled to meet with Pedro Sanchez, the prime minister of Spain, a WHO official said without providing any other information. According to WHO data, Spain has so far documented 802 cases. The West African strain of the virus, which is spreading around the world, has a case fatality rate of about 1%, which is lower than that of the Congo Basin clade, which is spreading in some regions of Africa.