Africa to receive Covid-19 vaccines from the U.S. this week as daily cases surge

The U.S pledged to donating 500 million doses to lower income countries in hopes to ramp up global vaccinations.


It was announced last month that U.S. president Joe Biden's administration would donate 500 million Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine doses to roughly 100 lower income countries globally. The donation comes with no strings attached and is aimed at saving lives as the world battles the pandemic. The Biden administration stated that about 75% of these vaccines will be shared via the Covax initiative and the remaining 25% will be distributed to neighbouring countries and to those with increased cases, as well as partners requesting assistance. The doses will be produced at Pfizer's U.S. sites and will be supplied to the U.S government at a not-for-profit price enabling this initiative to be the largest ever purchase and donation of vaccines by a single country.


It is anticipated that of the first batch shared worldwide, most of the doses will be circulated in South and Central American countries, including Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Ecuador, and Guatemala; Asian countries, including India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Africa, in coordination with the African Union to select countries. The first shipment to Africa is expected to be received as early as this week and will be met with great appreciation as the continent is currently lagging behind in vaccination rollout, with under 2% of its population being fully vaccinated to date. As of the 4th of July, the African continent has seen a total of 5, 669,873 cases with South Africa contributing the highest number of cases at 2,062,896.